Newsletter, April 2001
This month we are shamelessly self-promoting.
We are thrilled to announce the publication of Carol Hurst's first two books for children.
Through the Lock
"Part historical fiction, part survival adventure, this story will grab readers from the first page. Etta and Walter's terse conversations, anguished and funny, are the best part of the book, and the history is fascinating, including what the canal means to the community."
- - Booklist starred review
Find out more at http://www.carolhurst.com/titles/throughthelock.html
Rocks in His Head
Historical Picture Book illustrated by James Stevenson
Leo loves rock collecting much to everyone's consternation. During the Depression we find that Leo's passion becomes the start of a successful career. "A big-hearted true story of a man with rocks in his head (and in his pocket), nourished by the deep humanity in Stevenson's watercolors."
-- Kirkus Reviews
Find out more at http://www.carolhurst.com/titles/rocksinhishead.html
Welcome to the April issue of our newsletter. If you'd like to have each issue delivered to your email address you can sign-up for a subscription.
In This Issue You'll Find:
- News. See below.
- Local History and Family Stories, Featured Subject.
I've Read the Book, Now What? Workshops for Teachers of grades 2-6 by Carol Hurst:
- - use literature across the curriculum
- - connect your reading program to content areas
- - motivate your readers
- - complement your reading program with meaningful activities
- - enhance comprehension through conversation
- - use a variety of genre
- - storytell and read aloud as powerful extensions of literature
- May 8, 2001 - Massachusetts
- Holiday Inn Springfield
- 711 Dwight Street
- Springfield, MA
- October 23, 2001 - Connecticut
- Stamford, CT
- October 25, 2001 - Massachusetts
- Worcester, MA
To register call Literacy Corner at 877-346-9737
Other workshops and book signings:
- April 29, 2001. Preconvention Institute. IRA, New Orleans, LA.
- April 30, 2001. 1:00-2:00. HarperCollins Booth, IRA, New Orleans, LA. Book signing for Rocks in His Head.
- May 1, 2001. Le Meridien Hotel. IRA, New Orleans, LA. Meet the Author party for HarperCollins
- May 3, 2001. 9:00-10:00. Houghton Mifflin Booth, IRA, New Orleans, LA. Book signing for Through the Lock.
- May 7, 2001. Colrain Central School. Colrain, Massachusetts
- June 27, 2001. Literature Conference. New Ulm, Minnesota.
- July 25, 2001. Early Childhood Institute. Dallas, Texas.
Related Areas of Carol Hurst's Children's Literature Site
- Through the Lock by Carol Otis Hurst. Book Review.
- Rocks in His Head by Carol Otis Hurst. Book Review.
- Carol Hurst's Consulting
- Previous Newsletters
- Next section of this newsletter on Local History and Children's Literature